Kathmandu— United States envoy Jared Kushner affirmed that the Trump administration will withhold reconstruction aid for the Gaza Strip until Hamas disarms, reiterating a firm stance on demilitarization amidst ongoing conflict and stalled peace efforts. Kushner held discussions with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday seeking to implement a roadmap for Gaza, but no breakthrough was achieved. He emphasized that continued US support hinges on verifiable disarmament by Hamas, echoing Israel's position and signaling a willingness to allow Israel to defend itself against perceived threats. The envoy’s comments come as Israel continues strikes on Gaza, resulting in significant Palestinian casualties and widespread devastation.
Stalled Reconstruction Plan
Kushner explained that a US-backed plan for rebuilding Gaza is contingent upon Hamas surrendering its weapons, stating, “We have a plan to rebuild Gaza, but we will not allow Gaza to be rebuilt until the demilitarisation occurs.” He expressed concern over investing in an area prone to renewed conflict, emphasizing the need for lasting security. Hamas had previously agreed to disarm as part of a broader process involving Israeli withdrawal and cessation of attacks on Palestinian territories; however, Israel rejected this proposal earlier this month, demanding full demilitarization before any concessions are made.
US Support for Israeli Security
In an interview with Fox News, Kushner underscored the US commitment to supporting Israel’s right to self-defense. “We’re also not going to restrict Israel’s right to defend itself if there are any imminent threats,” he said, clarifying the parameters of that support. This stance aligns closely with the Israeli government's position and reflects a pattern of strong US backing for Israel, including approximately $25 billion in military aid over the past three years and defense of the Netanyahu administration internationally.
Hamas Talks and Skepticism
Kushner held a meeting with Hamas officials on Sunday as part of ongoing efforts to de-escalate the conflict. He described the talks as “very cordial,” but cautioned that Washington will evaluate Hamas based on its actions, acknowledging the difficulty in trusting an organization responsible for recent atrocities. Despite assurances from Hamas representatives, Kushner remains skeptical, stating, “They said all the right things, but obviously, it’s very, very hard to trust a terrorist organisation that committed these terrible atrocities.”
Trump's Call for De-escalation
Despite Kushner’s firm stance on disarmament, President Trump earlier on Monday called for an end to Israeli strikes. “Israelis should not be striking in Gaza. Hamas agreed to lay down their weapons,” the president said, seemingly at odds with his son-in-law's position and suggesting a desire for immediate de-escalation.
Kushner emphasized that full disarmament by Hamas would represent a significant security achievement for Israel, while failure to comply could lead to increased support for further Israeli action. The situation remains volatile as the US continues to navigate complex diplomatic efforts.
(With inputs from Al Jazeera)
Originally published on abcnews.com.np.







प्रतिक्रिया दिनुहोस्