ABC NEWS NEPAL | No.1 News channel of Nepal
६ भदौ २०८३, शनिबार
  • होमपेज
  • मुख्य समाचार
  • अर्थ वाणिज्य
  • विचार
  • खेलकुद
  • अन्तर्राष्ट्रिय
  • प्रदेश विशेष
  • राजनीति विशेष
  • ENGLISH
  • समाचार
  • विशेष
  • रिपोर्ट
  • विचार
  • अर्थ वाणिज्य
  • जीवनशैली
  • प्रदेश विशेष
  • मनोरञ्जन
  • खेलकुद
  • ENGLISH
  • प्रदेशबिशेष
    • कोशी
    • मधेश
    • बागमती
    • गण्डकी
    • वाग्मती
    • कर्णाली
    • सुदूरपश्चिम
  • सोसल भिडिया
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Youtube
  • Instagram

Canada Announces Retaliatory Tariffs on US Goods


ABC NEWS
७ भदौ २०८३, आइतबार   १ : ४५   बजे

Kathmandu— Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced Saturday that Canada will impose retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods starting September 8, hours after the United States enacted a 50 percent tariff on nearly $20 billion worth of Canadian imports following failed trade negotiations between the two countries. Carney described the move as a “focused response” to what he characterized as unfair and economically damaging policies from Washington, accusing the U.S. of making last-minute demands that undermined potential agreement and seeking to restrict Canada’s future trade alliances. The escalating tariff dispute marks another point of contention in the increasingly strained relationship between Canada and the United States under President Trump's administration.

Escalating Trade Tensions

The imposition of U.S. tariffs follows weeks of uncertainty and stalled negotiations, initially announced in July as part of an ongoing trade dispute. Despite efforts to reach a deal, negotiators failed to finalize an agreement by the revised deadline on Friday night, leading to the implementation of the 50 percent duties. Carney explained that Canada walked away from discussions because the U.S. “asked too much and they offered too little,” alleging that new terms proposed in recent days were uneconomic and unfair.

Disputed Demands and Restrictions

Carney specifically cited last-minute demands related to car imports and restrictions on Canada’s ability to pursue new trade deals as key sticking points. “The US introduced in the last hours efforts to restrict our ability to have other trade deals,” he said, adding that such limitations were unacceptable. He also criticized what he described as a shifting rationale from the U.S. for imposing the tariffs, referencing President Trump’s comments citing issues ranging from drug trafficking to wildfire smoke as justification.

US Response and Future Outlook

U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer stated there are no future talks planned with Canada and that the US would respond to Canada's retaliatory measures. Greer claimed Canada had previously enjoyed a favorable trade arrangement but rejected the latest offers. Despite the escalating tensions, Carney indicated Canada will focus on strengthening its trade relationships with other countries, stating, “We can’t control the storm that blows in from Washington,” and vowing to diversify trading partnerships.

A History of Conflict

Since taking office in 2025, Carney has frequently clashed with Trump, who has consistently employed tariffs as a negotiating tactic. The Canadian Prime Minister acknowledged Trump’s disruptive influence on global politics, noting that the U.S. administration often operates with shifting priorities and unreliable commitments. “We recognised that, sometimes, its signature was written in pencil,” he said.

Carney characterized the situation as an attack on Canada, signaling a firm resolve to defend Canadian interests despite the escalating trade war. The implementation of retaliatory tariffs is expected to further strain relations between the two countries and potentially disrupt North American supply chains.

(With inputs from Al Jazeera)

Originally published on abcnews.com.np.

प्रतिक्रिया दिनुहोस्

ताजा अपडेट

पहिरोले पोखरा–सिक्लेस सडक अवरुद्ध, पर्यटकलाई यात्रा नगर्न आग्रह

आज राति पनि वर्षाको सम्भावना, कोसी–बागमती–गण्डकीका केही स्थानमा भारी वर्षाको चेतावनी

सम्बन्धित

Palestinian Teenager Killed by Israeli Settlers in West Bank

Trump Attacks Former Allies Carlson, Greene, and Massie

US Envoy Accuses Israel of Lack of Warning Before Syria Strikes

Israeli Strikes Claim Lives in Ongoing Gaza Attacks

Trump Family Subpoena Fight Escalates in $10 Billion Defamation Case

Former Pinochet Agent Released From US Custody Despite Role in Political Assassination

ABC NEWS NEPAL | No.1 News channel of Nepal
एबीसी मिडिया ग्रुप प्रा.लि.
  • सूचना विभागमा दर्ता नं. : २००१।०७७–०७८
  • कार्यालय सम्पर्क
  • Lazimpat, Ranibari- Kathmandu - 3
    +977 01 4240666 / 977-014011122
    Admin: [email protected]
    News: [email protected]
    विज्ञापनका लागि सम्पर्क
  • +977 9802082541, 9802060000
    [email protected]
साइट नेभिगेशन
  • गृहपृष्‍ठ
  • समाचार
  • विशेष
  • अन्तर्वार्ता
  • एबीसी विज
  • जीवनशैली
  • मनोरञ्जन
  • विचार
  • SS Opinion
एबीसी मिडिया ग्रुप प्रा.लि.टीम
  • अध्यक्ष / प्रधान सम्पादक : शुभशंकर कँडेल
  • प्रबन्ध निर्देशक : शारदा शर्मा
  • सम्पादक : डण्ड गुरुङ
  • सह-सम्पादक : कविराज बुढाक्षेत्री
©2026 ABC NEWS NEPAL | No.1 News channel of Nepal | Website by Appharu